Part-Time Faculty

Part-Time Faculty FAQs

Do Unions Help Adjuncts? (Chronicle of Higher Ed. –  June 3, 2018)
What dozens of collective-bargaining agreements can tell usRead full article

Do I get disability?   Yes, disability withholding will appear on your paycheck.  The current rate is at 1%.

How do I calculate office hour pay?   Part-time faculty members are compensated for office hours during Fall and Spring semesters based on one (1) office hour for every three (3) FLCs, which for lecture classes is the equivalent of 1 hour for every 3 hours taught.

If you have been assigned an office space, your syllabi should reflect actual office hour availability to meet with students. For part-timers without assigned office space, the syllabi should indicate how and when students can reach you for assistance, by providing e-mail and phone contact information.

Is there compensation for flex time for part-timers?  You are paid for flex time.  According to the AFT 1493 Contract language found in Article 7.11.2, in addition to participating in district or college-sponsored flex activities, a part-time faculty member who is assigned to teach on a day of the week that has been designated as flex can elect to participate in a college-approved flex activity on an alternative day other than the college-designated flex day.  You must show written verification of the activity to receive regular pay for up to the normal student contact hours that you are scheduled to teach on that day of the week.

What about committee work — should I do it?  Currently, part-time faculty members are not compensated for work outside of their class assignment duties.  Any outside work, such as committee work, must be considered volunteer work.  There is no guarantee that working on committees will lead to other opportunities, such as being hired full-time.  Some part-time faculty members participate in committee work based on their departmental or curricular interests. In certain cases, paid stipends are provided for part time faculty who participate on departmental or college committees.

Who should I contact in case of final exam conflicts?  Contact your Dean or Manager.

How do I obtain a key or a parking pass?  Apply through your Dean’s office and they will obtain a key and/or parking pass for you.

Other questions?  Talk to your colleagues, your Dean’s office, your Union Chapter Chair(s) or Part-Time Rep. or contact Paul Bissember, Executive Secretary, at the AFT 1493 Office:  650-574-6649,