Join the Union
Your students turn to you for help.
But where do you turn–
For answers about salary and benefits?
For protection of your contractual, legal, and professional rights?
For training and professional growth?
You can turn to AFT Local 1493 for:
Professional rights and respect
Legal and professional liability protection
Valuable economic and financial benefits
Professional growth and development
It all starts when you join. Become a member today!
Join AFT Local 1493….because being a member just makes sense.
AFT 1493 membership provides you with the following services and benefits:
1) Access to a $1 million occupational liability insurance plan
2) Access to both the CFT and Bay Area Educators Credit Unions
3) Tax shelter consultation
4) Input into teacher-related legislation
5) Car and disability insurance at special rates
6) Free 1/2 hour legal advice on personal matters
7) Access to Unemployment Insurance Benefits counseling
8) Eligibility to apply for an accidental death insurance policy
9) Participation in AFT 1493 professional committees
10) Training in contract maintenance, grievance processing, policy making skills
11) Access to AFT/CFT Legal Defense Fund Grants (for professional matters)
12) Worker’s compensation counseling
13) Finance and auto special purchase benefits
14) Involvement in AFT 1493 policy-making and governance: voting power
15) Discounts on AFT conferences and classes
16) 6 issues a year of The Advocate, the Local’s award-winning publication
17) Representation in grievances and arbitrations
Non-AFT member faculty (agency fee-payers) receive:
1) 6 issues a year of The Advocate, the Local’s award-winning publication
2) Representation in grievances and arbitrations
3) Access to Unemployment Insurance Benefits counseling
4) Access to AFT/CFT Legal Defense Fund Grants (for professional matters)
Turn to AFT Local 1493, your Union!
Turn to the Union for help with every aspect of your professional life.
As a teacher in the San Mateo County Community College District, you have become a part of the employee unit which is exclusively represented in all contractual and professional matters by AFT Local 1493.
The AFT Chapter Chair, the official Union representative at your College, is one of the most important people you can get to know. Whenever you have a question or concern regarding AFT services or policies or need assistance related to the Contract or resolving conflict with others, your Chapter Chair can help.
AFT Local 1493 members help shape teacher-related legislation. Decisions made in Sacramento affect you and your classroom. Join us for real political power.
No AFT 1493 member stands alone. AFT protects your contract rights and battles to bring you a professional salary and decent health benefits. The AFT/SMCCCD Contract is over 60 pages long. It covers many hard-won rights secured for you by AFT over the last 33 years.
AFT Local 1493 membership doesn’t cost—it pays. Your membership opens the door to financial benefits, such as unique tax shelters and special rates for car and disability insurance. Members also receive discounts on conferences and classes.
As an AFT Local 1493 member, you are entitled to a $1 million occupational liability insurance plan from our national affiliates. This insurance protects you against school-related criminal charges you could face during your career.
As an AFT member, you also receive legal representation in dismissals and layoffs, a free half hour of legal advice for each incident, and workers compensation counseling.
Your membership, your involvement are essential to reaching the goals of our Union—goals that are in your best interest.
Join today, so you’ll have somewhere to turn when you need it most.
See your AFT Chapter Chair or call the AFT Office (574-6491) today for a better quality of life and professional enrichment!