May 2022 Advocate: Adjunct faculty reminders


Reminders to adjunct faculty:
– Apply for unemployment benefits after end of the semester
– Submit medical reimbursement forms by June 15

Unemployment compensation benefits

All part-time faculty should remember that you are eligible for unemployment compensation benefits over the summer and during the winter break, unless you are working another job over the summer or between semesters and you are earning more than your unemployment grant would be. As soon as you give your last final exam, you should contact the local Employment Development Department (EDD) office and file a claim, or reactivate the one you have from summer (if you applied then). If it is a new claim, you will have a one-week waiting period before benefits start, so do not delay. You can also claim for the period between regular term and summer school. When filling out your weekly forms, don’t forget to claim paid flex days.

When applying, tell them about all your jobs, since your benefit is based on all your income over the previous year. When they ask if you have a job to go back to after summer or winter break, answer: “Not with reasonable assurance. I only have a tentative assignment contingent on enrollment, funding and program needs.”

This is important: Do not just tell them that you have an assignment for next semester or you will be disqualified. According to the Cervisi decision of the State Court of Appeals (and the Ed. Code), part-timers, as a class, do not have “reasonable assurance” of a job and hence are eligible for benefits between terms. If questioned further, mention the Cervisi case.

Be sure to fill out all job search forms correctly, and be available as directed for interviews and follow-up questions. You should not have any problems, but if you have any questions or are denied for any reason, contact Marianne Kaletzky in the AFT office ( as soon as possible and the union will advise you on how to file an appeal. Don’t be reluctant to file. This is your right, not charity!

Medical reimbursement forms due by December 31st

The SMCCCD medical reimbursement program reimburses employee-incurred health benefit premium costs to all part-time hourly academic employees who complete a 40% or more of a full-time load in the District and meet other eligibility criteria. The Fall 2021 MOU between AFT and the District specifies that if a part-time faculty’s load falls below 40% due to the cancellation of a class, the part-time faculty member will qualify for half the medical stipend reimbursement. Reimbursements are issued strictly for monthly health premiums and do not include dental premiums, copays, or any other costs incurred for medical procedures/services. The program reimburses part-time faculty up to $3,305.00 per semester.

How to apply for a medical reimbursement:

1.    Meet all eligibility criteria listed on application.

2.    Complete Part-Time Faculty Medical Reimbursement Application.

3.    Provide proof of medical plan coverage and premium payments, proof must show name, amounts paid and dates. To avoid any delays in processing, we also ask that you submit sufficient proof to justify the reimbursement amount you are requesting.

4.    Submit requests no later than Friday, December 31, 2021.

5.    Submit your application and supporting documents via e-mail to George Sampior, Jr. in the Human Resources Department at:

6.    To receive reimbursement through direct deposit, please complete the ACH form and submit to Victoria Lin in Accounts Payable at If you already submitted one in the past there is no need to submit  another one. Please note, Payroll Direct Deposit and ACH Direct Deposit are NOT the same.

Please contact George Sampior, Jr. with any questions.