May 2015 Advocate – Adjuncts eligible for unemployment

Unemployment benefits available to adjuncts over summer

All part-time faculty members should remember that you are eligible for unemployment compensation benefits during the summer break, unless you are working another job over the summer and you are earning more than your unemployment grant would be. As soon as you give your last final exam, you should contact the local Employment Development Dept. (EDD) office and file a claim, or reactivate the one you have from last summer (if you applied then).  If it is a new claim, you will have a one-week waiting period before benefits start, so do not delay. You can also claim for the period between regular terms and summer school.

When applying, tell them about all your jobs, since your benefit is based on all your income over the previous year. When they ask if you have a job to go back to after summer break, you should answer: “Not with reasonable assurance. I only have a tentative assignment contingent on enrollment, funding and program needs.” This is important. Do not just tell them that you have a definite assignment for Fall or you will be disqualified. You should not have any problems, but if you are denied for any reason, call Dan Kaplan in the AFT office (650-574-6491) as soon as possible and the Union will advise you on how to file an appeal. Don’t be reluctant to file. This is your right, not charity.