In this issue:
- 15 speakers present strong case to Board for Part-time Parity and Part-Time Faculty Healthcare
The Board of Trustees heard public comments from 15 different speakers on Wednesday (3/22), all of whom urged the Board to direct district negotiators to agree to a fair contract, including affordable healthcare for all faculty and equitable pay for adjunct faculty.
- While San Mateo county has the highest property values in the US, our district’s salaries and benefits are behind neighboring districts
Considering the exceedingly high cost of living that makes it difficult for our faculty to afford to live in the area and the district’s correspondingly high revenues that provide it with a very healthy budget, it is only reasonable to expect that our faculty’s salaries and benefits should be at the top compared to those in other districts. This is mostly not the case, however, especially when we compare our adjunct faculty’s pay and benefits to other Bay Area Basic Aid districts.
- Sign the petition to Interim Chancellor Moreno and the Board to approve a fair contract for faculty!
We have been without a contract for 10 months now! Please sign AFT 1493’s petition to ask District leadership to negotiate in good faith to provide: an increase in wages that allows faculty to afford to live in our high-cost area, affordable healthcare for all faculty and equitable pay for adjunct faculty.
- Gendered division of labor: Who does the work when it’s time to do the work?
Gender inequity persists on every campus, but it seems that ways in which women experience discrimination, microaggressions, harassment and lack of advancement opportunities are generally accepted, easy to overlook and have not been made a priority.
- Faculty Focus: Meet Doris Garcia, Promise Counselor & Co-Coordinator of the Katipunan Learning Community at CSM
For Doris, “Counseling is mentorship, it’s being a hype woman, it’s holding accountability with high support. The system and the institution of education was built WITHOUT many of our students in mind. And so, I hold the time I spend with students sacred.”
- AFT 1493 members attend California Federation of Teachers Convention in SF
A dynamic contingent of AFT 1493 members attended the biennial Convention of the California Federation of Teachers from March 17 through 19.