Data from AFT survey on potential masking policies in SMCCCD, May 2022
Between May 20 and May 24, 168 faculty responded to AFT’s survey on potential masking policies in SMCCCD. These 168 faculty represent just over 18% of faculty currently working in our district. Of these faculty, 46% said they were comfortable with the policy recommended by the Chancellor, while 54% said they were not comfortable with it.
We asked about different potential masking policies, allowing faculty to check all options they are comfortable with, and found that:
- 44% of faculty were comfortable with continuing to require indoor masking regardless of what CDC community level the county is in
- 36% were comfortable with requiring indoor masking in the red and yellow levels and making it optional in the green level
- 21% were comfortable with requiring indoor masking only in the red level
- 18% were comfortable with making masks optional at all levels.
Although no single policy was supported by a majority of faculty, the data showed that the more stringent the policy, the more faculty were comfortable with it.
AFT also asked how many faculty would need accommodations to continue working as planned if the Chancellor’s recommendation goes into effect. 9% of faculty said they would require an accommodation to continue working this summer as planned, and 31% of faculty said they would require an accommodation to continue working this fall as planned.
A number of faculty left comments to further explain their responses and their situation. We gave faculty the option of having their comments shared with the Board with their names and faculty roles attached, having their comments shared with the Board anonymously, or not having their comments shared. AFT reps attended the May 25, 2022 Board meeting to present a representative sample of comments. Thank you to all faculty who completed the survey and let us know your perspectives.